HAVE A BLAST AT VIRGINIA TECH OR UNIVERSITY OF VIRGINIA SUMMER 2014!
Check out this FREE opportunity to interact with other students from Virginia who are interested in the excitement of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM)!
BLAST will offer a dynamic three-day residential summer experience on the campus of Virginia Tech (VT) and the University of Virginia (UVA) in the summer of 2014. Through innovative hands-on experiences taught by faculty members and staff, students will explore the fun and excitement of STEM while residing on a college campus. BLAST is geared to students who may have an interest in STEM or an underlying aptitude for STEM academics, but have not yet discovered the excitement of STEM.
Current 8th and 9th grade students from Virginia will have an opportunity to choose from one of two sessions at Virginia Tech, July 13-16 or July 20-23, or one session at the University of Virginia, July 27-30.
BLAST is a partnership between the Virginia Space Grant Consortium (VSGC), Virginia Tech, the University of Virginia and the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Mechanical Engineering: Build a solar car
- Space Science: Build a robot to complete missions on a Martian landscape
- Astronomy: View planets and other celestial objects at the McCormick Observatory
- Chemistry: Identify chemicals in an unknown solution
- Engineering Design: Design and test insulation materials
- And more!
- Bats and Bio-inspired Robot Swarms
- Pervasive and Physical Computing (or how to make your refrigerator re-order milk when you need it)
- Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Flight Testing
- Nanotechnology in Cancer Research, Electronics and Energy Production
- Make your own rocket or an autonomous underwater vehicle
- Watch your design come to life on a 3D printer
- And more!